Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gearing up for IBC 2012

The Donkey has been saddled with the honor of representing the Spa City Blues Society in the solo/duo category at the 2012 International Blues Challenge in Memphis.

Today I submitted my registration.  I can guarantee that I have never sweated so much over 600 characters, or over whether my picture was 900X600 at 300 dpi.  I'm a lowdown swamp donkey, after all!  What do I know about dpi?  But we do these things on pain of losing an all important single point in the competition, and I know from previous experience that every point matters.  You can check out all entrants at the IBC website, http://www.blues.org/.

And my 600 characters (not counting spaces, fortunately)?  Here they are:

Down at the Ohio Club on Central Avenue in Hot Springs, Arkansas, Ben “Swamp Donkey” Brenner slings his National guitar. We are on the low side of the road, where Dylan meets the Delta and Big Bill and R.L. Burnside share a bottle. The Donkey digs in, works his slide, plays another song. Notes roll and tumble and slide into the wild American night. “The blues,” he sings, “ain’t nothin’ but a good Donkey totin’ too much load. Don’t confuse me for no mule!”  The juke approves, and you are drawn to a woman you can’t not look at, red dress, bare back, one arm up, all hips. She is getting Donkey. This is the music of bluesabilly kings and tonkeyhonk queens. It’s Donkey time. You should get Donkey too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment